JOIN OUR TEAM
Our team at the Kansas 4-H Foundation is small in number, but large in impact. We believe in the Kansas 4-H Youth Development Program and its ability to empower young people. Our staff works toward fulfilling our mission—bringing Kansas 4-H together with financial support from the private sector through relationships with corporations, businesses, interest groups and individuals who believe in youth and express this belief through philanthropy.
MANAGER OF COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
The Kansas 4-H Foundation is the 501(c)(3) fundraising arm for Kansas 4-H, the state’s largest youth development program, as well as Rock Springs Ranch, the state 4-H center. The Foundation works with businesses, organizations, individuals and families who share a common desire to support a statewide effort of growing future leaders.
The Foundation is currently seeking a results-driven, energetic and forward-thinking individual to serve as a communications professional specializing in crafting compelling proposals, donor communications, and public relations. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing, managing and executing a comprehensive communications effort that contributes to soliciting and securing philanthropic gifts for annual and capital campaign priorities, stewarding existing relationships, and collaborating to build a stronger development operation for our organization. This individual reports to the VP for Campaign Strategy and works closely with the President/CEO and Board of Trustees in all development endeavors.
If you have a strong background in non-profit communications and share a desire to advance positive youth development throughout the state, we encourage you to apply.
Kansas 4-H Foundation communications and public relations professional communicates the purpose and philosophy of the organization to employees, donors, volunteers, 4-H system and the community-at-large, by making effective use of a variety of approaches. This individual is empowered to develop, manage and execute a comprehensive communications effort. S/he will lead day-to-day communications and outreach efforts while facilitating branding and marketing initiatives that support brand fidelity. The professional will maintain a positive relationship between the organization and the media and/or the general public.
Additional responsibilities include:
Support organizational fundraising efforts – 50%
- Collaborate with development team members to generate compelling proposals, impact reports and stewardship materials.
- Produce and review communications to ensure professional and consistent representation of the brand.
- Collaborate to develop persuasive marketing strategies and materials for fundraising programs, campaigns, and events.
- Serve as a resource to the executive leadership team in the development of written and oral presentations.
- Cultivate organizational readiness to communicate to external audiences confidently and strategically.
Perform additional team responsibilities - 20%
- Lead weekly Communication Request team meetings.
- Participate in bi-monthly Development team meetings.
- Participate in fundraising, board meetings and other program activities as requested.
- Collaborate with both Kansas 4-H Marketing Team with K-State Research & Extension (KSRE) and Rock Springs Ranch.
- Manage the application, hiring and orientation process of Kansas 4-H Foundation communications and public relations intern.
- Evaluation and design of standard Foundation office supplies and promotional materials.
- Develop and manage communications and public relations budget.
Sharing information with the public - 30%
- Manage the Kansas 4-H Foundation and Rock Springs Ranch brand standards for all public platforms. Manage and update Foundation and RSR websites as needed.
- Serve as editor of The Pledge magazine. Produce two issues annually and distribute to more than 10,000 constituents.
- Manage the organization's social media tools (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube), including engaging with the public, monitoring, posting, tracking metrics, and evaluating new tools.
- Respond to requests for information from members of the media, stakeholders, and the general public.
Qualifications and Skills
- Embrace the mission of the Kansas 4-H Foundation and demonstrate commitment to advancing positive youth development.
- Demonstrate impeccable integrity and honesty. Exercise good judgment, creativity and enthusiasm. Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Demonstrated skill in persuasive written storytelling.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills. Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Be a self-starter and results-driven when executing communications strategies.
- Possess leadership and interpersonal skills needed to work with and motivate staff, board members, donors and volunteers.
- Skilled in visual design. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud applications (including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere Pro) and Wordpress is required.
- Proficiency in Google and Office Suite is required. Experience with donor management systems, video conferencing and Constant Contact preferred.
- Desire to foster meaningful relationships on behalf of the organization.
- Be organized and exhibit follow through on tasks and goals.
- Contribute to a team-oriented fund development approach.
- Share knowledge and experience with staff about communications and public relations.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years of professional transferable experience in communications and/or related fields such as public relations, marketing and brand management.
- Share a professional portfolio that highlights your body of work experience.
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Paid Time Off (PTO), including paid parental leave
- 403b retirement plan with employer contribution and matching
- Modern, collaborative, and technology savvy office space
- Committed to demonstrating diversity, equity and inclusion in all that we do
- Positive and energetic work environment with enjoyable colleagues who frequently bring office snacks
- The world's best cinnamon rolls when hosting donors and guests at Rock Springs Ranch
Position requires a valid motor vehicle operator’s license with an acceptable driving record.
Employment is contingent upon passing the Kansas 4-H Foundation background check.
Competitive salary and title are commensurate with experience.
1680 Charles Pl., Ste 100, Manhattan, Kansas 66502
Please send a resume and cover letter to Mindy Weixelman at email@example.com